Universal Credit – Is my award correct?

Your Universal Credit payment is made up of a standard allowance and any extra amounts that apply to you, for example if you:

  • have children
  • have a disability or health condition which prevents you from working
  • need help paying your rent

Please see https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/what-youll-get for more information.

Some Common Issues to Look out For

Housing Cost Element:

  • If no Housing Cost Element has been awarded did you state you were not liable to pay rent when you applied for Universal Credit?
  • If 50% Housing Cost Element has been awarded has a partner, who is still on the tenancy agreement, left the property?
  • Have you declared the correct amount of rent?

Non-Dependant Deduction (i.e. a deduction for someone who is not your partner, boarder or lodger):

  • If you receive Personal Independence Payment (daily living component) or Disability Living Allowance (mid or higher rate care) or Attendance Allowance or if the Non-Dependant is under 21, a Non-Dependant deduction should not be made.
  • Where a Non-Dependant deduction has been made the amount is £73.89 per month. Is this correct?

Child Element:

  • For a new born baby or a child the claimant becomes responsible (subject to the Two Child Limit) the Child Element may be included before child benefit is awarded. It can take a number of weeks before child benefit is awarded which means that you could be losing out on additional Universal Credit if the child element is only awarded from the date your child benefit has been resolved

Carer Element:

  • The Carer Element will be included in the Universal Credit calculation where the claimant or partner spends 35 hours per week or more caring for a severely disabled person/child. Carers Allowance does not have to be in payment for the Carer Element to be included in the Universal Credit award.


What to I do if I think my award is incorrect?

If you believe your Universal Credit award is incorrect please ask, in your journal, on your Universal Credit online account, for the calculation to be reviewed, stating your reasons.

If you do not have an online account you can telephone the DWP , free, on 0800 328 05644 or write to Freepost, DWP, Universal Credit (no stamp is required). Please include your name, address and National Insurance Number on the letter.


Please also see the following links for answers to other questions you may have:



talk to us

For more information on this subject or on any other matter relating to Gwalia Housing, please contact us via telephone on 0800 012 1080. Alternatively you can use our online form or send us an email. You can also connect with us via facebook or twitter.

Feel free to share this page