Pobl win Housing Association of the Year at the Wales Energy Efficiency Awards
Earlier this year Pobl were announced winners of the Housing Association of the Year Award at the Wales Energy Efficiency Awards.
Our application was made on the basis of the ongoing maintenance programmes that are carried out annually for window and door upgrades, solid wall insulation, loft insulation upgrades, boiler upgrades, fuel switching, solar pv installations, and work carried out on hard to treat properties.
What’s been done…
- Over the past 12 months over 60 properties have been connected to the mains gas network. This has meant the end of electric storage heaters and the introduction of a gas central heating system allowing more affordable heating and hot water and comfort control.
- 630 properties had boiler upgrades to an A rated energy efficient boiler, and where required, improvements to the heating controls.
- An exciting and innovative pilot project has also been carried out as part of the Blaenymaes Regeneration project. It is a 6 property pilot project that has included the installation of Solar PV, battery storage and SMART Thermostats to try and reduce the energy bills for the properties involved. If it proves successful it is hoped this will be rolled out across 670 other properties on the estate as part of a wider regeneration programme in years to come. The aim is that not only will it reduce fuel poverty across the estate but hopefully have a positive effect on the health of the residents as well.
- 285 properties benefitted from new UPVc double glazed windows and 198 properties had new doors.
What are we continuing to do…
- There is an ambitious target to upgrade windows and doors to nearly 400 properties this year.
- Planned boiler upgrades are continuing on boilers over 14 years old.
- There is a continued commitment to reducing fuel poverty amongst residents and making properties and heating systems more energy efficient, one example of this is the work that is on-going to find an affordable and controllable heating solution for our remaining off gas properties.
- Investigating and piloting sustainable technologies that is better for the environment.