Universal Credit – How do I report a change in my rent/personal circumstances?

Reporting a change in my rent

You can enter the details on your Universal Credit online account in the journal. These will include the date of change and the new rent figures. These details can be found on your Rent Amendment Letter which you will receive at the end of February every year.

Do not include any ineligible service charges and only include the details on your journal from the date they become effective e.g. if the change is from 1 April only enter these details on the 1 April or as soon as possible thereafter. Do not enter before the date of increase or your claim will not be updated.

If you do not have an online account you can forward a copy of your Rent Amendment letter to: Freepost, DWP, Universal Credit Live Service (no stamp is required). Please write your National Insurance Number on the letter.

If you have any queries regarding the change in your rent please contact the Income Management Team on 0800 012 1080.


Reporting a change in my personal circumstances

You will be expected to report any change, immediately, via your Universal Credit online account. If you do not have an online account you can telephone the DWP, free, on 0800 328 05644.

These changes may include changes in the household, changes in income/savings, starting/finishing work, child care costs, becoming sick (as this may affect your Claimant Commitment), caring responsibilities, moving home and temporary absences.

You may be required to provide evidence of any change.

If a change is reported late and it results in an overpayment of £65.00 or more you could be liable for a Civil Penalty of £50.00 which will be added to the overpayment.

Please see: https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/changes-of-circumstances for more information


Please also see the following links for answers to other questions you may have:




talk to us

For more information on this subject or on any other matter relating to Gwalia Housing, please contact us via telephone on 0800 012 1080. Alternatively you can use our online form or send us an email. You can also connect with us via facebook or twitter.

Feel free to share this page